Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-cascade] What is the appropriate syntax for appending to nested layers? (#5791)

From: Florian Rivoal via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 08:05:45 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Just thinking out loud, considering separators that haven't been mentioned yet:
* another typical css separator is the comma, but it implies a flat list, not a hierarchy
* a rarer css separator is the slash. In the context of css, it doesn't imply a hierarchy either, but in file paths or URLs is does

Overall, I think I'd still go with the space, not because it matches selectors, but because it's the simplest thing used all over the pace in CSS as a separator. The period feels a bit foreign. But I wouldn't push back much if people insisted that we should go with that.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5791#issuecomment-757435649 using your GitHub account