Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-positioning] position: popover proposal (#5699)

From: Belan via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2021 12:36:54 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I stumbled over the same problem just now while thinking about converting our angular combobox to a web component.

I think that dropdowns/tooltips and dialogs are different scenarios:

* Dropdowns/tooltips are usually positioned relative to the trigger (like a position relative wrapper around both and position absolute on the dropdown/tooltip).
* Dialogs on the other hand are usually positioned in the middle of the viewport.

So in my opinion it shouldn't be a new css position value. It would be more flexible for the developer to have a new css property which can be combined with position absolute/fixed.

About the transform question: At least for dropdown/tooltip implementations it would probably make sense if the transforms are applied.

For my usecase (dropdown of a combobox) it would be best, if it would behave the same as the dropdown of the native `<select>`.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by saithis
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5699#issuecomment-753311505 using your GitHub account