Re: [csswg-drafts] [mediaqueries-5] duplication of `forced-colors: active` and `prefers-contrast: forced` (#5433)

From: Florian Rivoal via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 04:26:51 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I think @cookiecrook 's summary in https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5433#issuecomment-716954048 and https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5433#issuecomment-716954108 is a good one, and I agree that the tension summarized there is the core of the argument to be settled, either by picking a point on the trade-off, or by disproving some of the assumptions, thereby doing away with the trade-off. I'd just add one small nuance:
> all users who have either [....]

I don't think we need to go as far as "all users". With "most users", the argument still works, as including  `prefers-contrast: forced` would help more often than not. There's a statistical nature to this problem, and depending on how we set up the system, we're may help or inconvenience more people.

Which leads us to
> Premise: If users have custom colors whose contrast ratios match neither low contrast nor high contrast, every user in this group still wants reduced visual complexity. (???)

Same here: I'd replace "every user" with "most users". And while I agree the statement with "every" might be a little hard to prove or dubious, it seem much less of a stretch when it's merely "most": when you've opted into a forced (and thus reduced) color palette, you no longer have room for all sorts of decorative things, from a variety of background images, to gradients, or all sorts of embellishments. By picking a forced palette, you're necessarily opting into a visual simplification of some kind. It's going to happen whether we tell the author through a MQ or not, but it's part of the package, so we might as well tell them, so that they can react.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5433#issuecomment-716972078 using your GitHub account