Re: [csswg-drafts] [cssom-view] Let offsetWidth / offsetHeight report actual size? (#4541)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 17:09:04 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
@dbaron suggested several additional tests to make sure of exactly what behavior was being shown.

1. initial case, `a` with whitespace before and after the `div`: http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/saved/7826

2. no whitespace inside the `a` at all: http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/saved/7827

3. text inside the `a`, before and after the `div`: http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/saved/7828

Results:

 <thead>
 <tbody>

So yeah, this consistently shows that Chrome is returning the size of the first layout box (always something preceding the `div`, possibly empty, generated even when there's no ws because there's still an empty layout box there), while Firefox is giving the bounding box of all the fragments.

I haven't tested across multicols, but I think interop is spotty there *anyway*, so I'm not sure how useful such a test would be, considering we already see the break in these tests.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4541#issuecomment-600753213 using your GitHub account