Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-fonts] Specify what generic font family maps to nastaliq (#4397)

From: jfkthame via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 07:57:08 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> So are we positive to accept language/script/writing-system specific generic font families?

Personally, I am not at all positive about that. It substantially changes the meaning of "generic" font families, in a direction that I think we'd come to regret.

What I am positive about is browsers using script/language/region information to inform their mapping of the existing generic keywords to appropriate available fonts, so that (for example) `serif` might map to a Naskh face for Arabic-script characters in content where `lang=ar`, but a Nastaliq one when `lang=ur`.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by jfkthame
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4397#issuecomment-543054508 using your GitHub account