Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-overflow] It should be detectable whether an element ellipsize text (#4123)

From: blidblid via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2019 19:06:54 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
An API with fractional accuracy would solve all my problems!

Of course, a bit more background:
I'm building native apps for healthcare: journal systems, lab-orders, theater management, etc. The one thing those views have in common is that they have a lot of text. And the doctors/nurses want that text dense. We must use ```text-overflow: ellipsis``` for that density.

To display ellipsized content, we've developed an Angular directive that opens an overlay. The gist:

```
// in onMouseenter
if (eventTarget.scrollWidth > eventTarget.offsetWidth ) {
  this.overlay.open();
}
```

It looks like something most IDEs have in their sidenavs. The problem is that since we can't always detect the overflow, sometimes there's ellipsized content that doesn't trigger the overlay.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by blidblid
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4123#issuecomment-512528091 using your GitHub account