Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-lists] Initial value of counter-increment needs to be something different from none (#3686)

From: Wis via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 06:49:57 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
oh you made me see what's happening here, I had
``` .css
body {
    counter-reset: lessonNumber;
    counter-reset: vidNumber;
}
```
I forgot that a CSS selector is essentially a dictionary, and the key/CSS property `counter-reset` can be set once and overridden after, even though logically you'd expect it not to be the case for this specific property.
I fixed it by using more than one top selector like `body`,
``` .css
body {
    counter-reset: vidNumber;
}
html {
    counter-reset: lessonNumber;
}
```
though, this is still limiting for user-styles if you need more than 2 counters, you'd need to find "top level container elements" with unique properties like `aria-label` that wouldn't change and break the user-styles with new site updates.
Thanks.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by wis
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3686#issuecomment-511095448 using your GitHub account