[csswg-drafts] Font-family name matching requires full Unicode case comparison (#3675)

From: Myles C. Maxfield via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 19:49:23 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
litherum has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== Font-family name matching requires full Unicode case comparison ==
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-fonts-4/#localized-name-matching

This is the only place in WebKit that requires a full Unicode case matching. We have intentionally not implemented this because it’s non-performant. Instead, we just do ASCII case folding. It would be good if we could improve the performance of all implementations by specifying in the spec to use only ASCII case folding. Font lookups are very common in every page load, so performance here is very important. Also, we haven’t had web compatibility bugs due to not performing full Unicode case matching.

http://userguide.icu-project.org/transforms/casemappings says that “there is a flag for whether to apply special mappings for use with Turkic (Turkish/Azerbaijani) text data“ so if we’re going to define that it really requires full Unicode case matching, we’ll have to define how to set this flag.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3675 using your GitHub account