Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-syntax-3] Input stream processing can calculate wrong encoding (#4126)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 18:35:35 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
If there's not enough CSS files using non-UTF-whatever encoding to tell, that's probably reasonable evidence that it's not a problem in practice either. ^_^

In general I want to avoid proliferating unique charset-sniffing code without reason. Anyone using an encoding other than UTF-8 is asking for trouble, and for no real benefit to themselves; the world would be better off with less encodings causing confusion.

So, absent any compat pain from sniffing causing issues, I'm going to keep CSS Syntax aligned with HTML. (After all, CSS2 had specialty sniffing code for UTF-32 and EBCDIC! No loss removing those!)

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4126#issuecomment-565556944 using your GitHub account