Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-nav-1] Clarify the condition of focusable element (#3395)

From: Hugo via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 09:33:39 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> But I'll consider putting a note that UA can make the element [a "SpatNav candidate"] with
>   * keydown event handler
>   * `{cursor: pointer}`

Cool. Yeah, I think that's a good to mention in the spec.

In Chrome, this is not only on "keydown" but also on "keyup", "keypress" and on "click". See https://cs.chromium.org/chromium/src/third_party/blink/renderer/core/dom/element.cc?type=cs&q=function:SupportsSpatialNavigationFocus&sq=package:chromium. I think we should mention all of them, in that case.

I also think we should mention that `tabindex=-1` can be used to override this heuristics. I encouraged one major web app to use this trick on their topmost container `<div>` that had a click-handler (to stop chromium's SpatNav from going to there). They now use it in production. I'd like to add a [web test](https://cs.chromium.org/chromium/src/third_party/blink/web_tests/fast/spatial-navigation/) for that.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by hugoholgersson
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3395#issuecomment-526106750 using your GitHub account