Re: [csswg-drafts] Is there a CSS box for text node content? (#4197)

From: Amelia Bellamy-Royds via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2019 22:46:36 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I think the definition you're looking for is the [root inline box](https://drafts.csswg.org/css-inline/#root-inline-box) of the block container, as defined in CSS Inline Layout 3:

> which is an anonymous inline box that holds all of its inline-level contents. The root inline box inherits from its parent block container, but is otherwise unstyleable.

However, note that this box isn't associated with individual DOM text nodes. If you have been manipulating the DOM in a way that you have multiple consecutive text nodes, they are merged for all CSS layout. I'm not sure if that's relevant for the API you're working on.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4197#issuecomment-522276090 using your GitHub account