Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-lists-3] Should automatic list-item increment adjust for ol[reversed]? (#4181)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2019 21:42:53 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
If we were to consider that, tho, hmmm. We've talked before about having a way to count the number of children an element has, and use that to initialize counter-reset for reversed lists. But as Emilio points out, that's not actually sufficient; arbitrary descendants can use that list counter.

So I'm thinking the way to go is to iterate thru all the elements in the scope, counting the `display:list-item` elements that have the counter in question in scope (that is, it's the last counter of that name in the element's counter set, and thus possible to be set/incremented by them). That's pretty magic, but I think it's the degree of magic we need to achieve this functionality.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4181#issuecomment-520181701 using your GitHub account