[csswg-drafts] Taking elements only out of the flow of imidiate parent, not out of flow of entire document

From: Meteor0id via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2018 15:51:10 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Meteor0id has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== Taking elements only out of the flow of imidiate parent, not out of flow of entire document ==
Has it ever been dicussed to come up with something like
position: relative-to-grandparent;

Untill now, something is either in the flow (static, relative etc.) or out of the flow of the document (absolute).
But especitally when dealing with CMS genearted content it can be quite useful to pull elements out of their parent and regroup them on their grandparent.

In my case I ran into a dead ally when trying to come up with a css only solution to pull the captions of multiple images in a group together below the group of images. I could just remove the caption from the image objects and place them all at the bottom of the group in the HTML document, but than I would not be able to mark up the caption as belonging to a certain image within the group (marking up meaning Seach Engine Optimalisation).

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2806 using your GitHub account