Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-ui] Two different colours for a "double" style outline

From: David MacDonald via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2018 00:54:12 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Hi All
@frivoal @LeaVerou
As per the original premise of this issue, which was to allow an easy way for authors create a visible focus ring that could be used across the site without having to measure the contrast of every button, WCAG 2.1 is now an active recommendation of the W3C.

https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/

SUccess criteria [1.4.11](https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#non-text-contrast) requires "user interface components and states", to have "a contrast ratio of at least 3:1 against adjacent color(s)"

The Understanding document for the Success criteria [further states](https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/non-text-contrast.html#intent)

> Also, the visual effects which indicate state, such as whether a component is selected or focused, must also provide the minimum 3:1 contrast with the background adjacent to the component...Regardless of the whether or not there is a visible boundary for the button, the focus indicator for the component must have sufficient contrast when the component is focused.

Please, I think its time. I don't care how its implemented, but please provide an easy CSS way for authors to create a two colour focus indicator.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by DavidMacDonald
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1172#issuecomment-403331618 using your GitHub account