Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-syntax] The tokenizer input should probably be a stream of scalar values, not codepoints (#3307)

From: CSS Meeting Bot via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2018 00:31:48 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
The CSS Working Group just discussed `The tokenizer input should probably be a stream of scalar values, not codepoints`, and agreed to the following:

* `RESOLVED: Add the additional codepoint filtering`

&lt;dael> Topic: The tokenizer input should probably be a stream of scalar values, not codepoints<br>
&lt;dael> github: https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3307<br>
&lt;dael> TabAtkins: This is a small change, no change for FF and minor for others. Turns out when I wrote syntax I didn't know scalar vs codepoints distinction<br>
&lt;dael> TabAtkins: When I wrote I said codepoints. Every algo produces only scalar except for when you assign a domstring. All other methods like decoding or escaping produce only scalar values.<br>
&lt;dael> TabAtkins: Seems like I don't want non-scalar values; would be more consistant to block the codepoints in all places.<br>
&lt;dael> TabAtkins: I propose we add a new step to codepoint filtering that says they are replaced and all entry points work on pure scalar<br>
&lt;dael> TabAtkins: FF does this already, Chrome does allow surrigate codepoints in because we're suing domstrings<br>
&lt;dael> TabAtkins: Simplifies model.<br>
&lt;dael> TabAtkins: Yea or Nay, trivial change on my part<br>
&lt;dael> Rossen: I'm assuming FF people will be okay. They're mostly out, but I'd be surprised if they oppose. Chrome is in favor. I don't thinkw e have Apple<br>
&lt;dael> Rossen: Objections to the proposed change?<br>
&lt;plinss> +1<br>
&lt;dael> RESOLVED: Add the additional codepoint filtering<br>
</details>

--
GitHub Notification of comment by css-meeting-bot
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3307#issuecomment-444703728 using your GitHub account