Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-text] cursive shaping breaks needs better scoping (#698)

From: fantasai via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2018 23:49:02 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
@r12a
> Sure, i understand that, but the example you give is not a particularly useful thing to do. I suspect that much of the time one will apply first-letter in order to change the formatting

Well, yes. But we still have to define what happens in all cases. This is a Web Platform spec after all. :)

Wrt `initial-letter` vs regular inlines, were were made aware that the specific requirements around initial letter formatting that requires shaping across that boundary, so that's explicitly specced. Initial letter formatting is a specialized form of layout, and is different form inline layout. (I also want to point out that initial letter styling and :first-letter styling are not the same thing. Initial letter styling can be applied to spans, and :first-letter elements are just like spans and not like initial letters unless they're explicitly styled as initial letters.)

Agenda+ to ask the WG if we should have margins/borders/padding _not_ affect shaping in regular inlines, as Firefox now appears to do. @jfkthame Any opinions? [testcase](http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/?%3C!DOCTYPE%20html%3E%0A%3Cspan%20style%3D%22margin%3A%201em%22%3E%D9%86%D9%88%D8%B4%3C%2Fspan%3E%D8%AA%D9%86)

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/698#issuecomment-444303748 using your GitHub account