[csswg-drafts] [css-nav-1] Starting point can be off-screen (#3391)

From: Florian Rivoal via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2018 07:58:50 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
frivoal has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-nav-1] Starting point can be off-screen ==
---

Migrated from https://github.com/WICG/spatial-navigation/issues/129
Originally created by @hugoholgersson on *Fri, 02 Nov 2018 07:26:42 GMT*

---
Even when the focused element F is off the screen, for example after `F.focus({preventScroll: true})`, spatnav uses F as starting point for distance calculations.

Why is this a problem? It gives an unpredictable user experience:

Imagine F being off-screen, above the visual viewport. If the user goes `up`, she probably wants to search the viewport for candidates from the bottom-most edge. (This is how spatnav would search a focused scroller.) Instead, the current spec calculates distances from the scrolled out F. The closest candidate is the focusable closest to F's position - a position the user can't see.

In Chrome we've solved this by skipping off-screen starting points: when F is off-screen, we search from an edge of the first visible enclosing container of F. I've updated https://bit.ly/snav2, my vision for spatnav in Chrome, to cover this case.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3391 using your GitHub account