Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-fonts] font property descriptors for variable fonts

From: Richard Rutter via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2018 09:54:54 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
As an author, the behaviour I expected when no `font-weight` descriptor is supplied is for the variable font to be rendered at different weights when `font-weight`is applied, not for it to be clamped to `font-weight:auto`. The implication is that if no `font-weight` is specified then the default weight should be treated as if normal (400) had been specified. (As per Safari's rendering in jfkthame's [test](https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2485#issuecomment-378332696)).

Conversely if a `font-weight` descriptor **is** supplied, then I would expect clamping to be applied. At this point in time, I'm particularly thinking about this in terms of `@font-face` rules which could include fallbacks for non-variable fonts. Clamping weights when the `font-weight` descriptor is supplied provides a kind of consistency between variable and non-variable fonts in that regard.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by clagnut
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2485#issuecomment-380042941 using your GitHub account