Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-transforms-2] Should a no-op <div> flatten?

From: mattwoodrow via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2017 20:46:57 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
As mentioned in the meeting, gecko is currently using the DOM parent to determine if we're participating in a 3d rendering context, so no-op <div>s flatten. I'm not aware of any major compat issues with doing this.

Note that this makes things simpler since we can no longer have a <div style="overflow:hidden"> in the middle (which implies flattening, but not containing block or stacking context), and we don't have to resolve the complexities with that.

The children of the overflow:hidden div decide that they are the root of their own rendering context (since their parent doesn't have preserve-3d), flatten themselves, and then we render into the overflow:hidden as 2d.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by mattwoodrow
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1952#issuecomment-342616778 using your GitHub account