Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-multicol-1][css-display-3] Introduce a 'display' value for multi-column layout

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 22:28:08 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
@SebastianZ While this would have been the correct thing to do originally, the multicol properties have existed for a long time and have relatively high usage, so there's no way to change them now.  As such, adding a display:columns value would have zero effect; we'd still have to support the use of the multicol properties on blocks.

> I think the exclusions in Flexbox and Grid should be solved by updating Multi-column and saying that these properties only apply to block containers.

Yes, this is a better solution than excluding them explicitly from other display types.

@MatsPalmgren Given that Grid doesn't have a decent fragmentation story in the first place, speccing that they have to work together like that doesn't seem the best. ^_^  But also it wouldn't be consistent with other things - you can't do that with display:table, for instance.  Also, in general we *want* to promote using the extra element; it's *not* redundant, as people can reasonably want to control the same properties differently for the grid and the multicol, such as margin and padding.  Adding more anonymous boxes doesn't help.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1352#issuecomment-300934081 using your GitHub account