Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-fonts-4] [varfont] Problem setting up a "4-style family" with variable fonts

From: Chris Lilley via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2017 15:42:45 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> Back in October 2015, Jonathan Kew proposed an interesting solution for another case where multiple fonts exist in the same font file – TTC files.
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2015Oct/0158.html
> His proposal was a new syntax using "#", the URL fragment identifier.

Using a fragment to select one of several distinct fonts in a collection is reasonable. The problem with the numeric fragment identifiers he proposed is fragility. Ken Lunde pointed out that for existing collections, when the collection is revised, fonts are inserted (not merely appended). So the meaning of a given numerical fragment would change from one revision to another, which is clearly inadvisable.

This is why, in RFC 8081, we changed to the fragment syntax suggested by Ken: the PostScript name (which is already used in CSS3 Fonts, for local fonts) is used as a fragment.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1289#issuecomment-298357676 using your GitHub account