Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-fonts-4] [varfont] Problem setting up a "4-style family" with variable fonts

From: Chris Lilley via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2017 15:35:56 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> in CSS Fonts 3, the font-weight descriptor is already restricted as it cannot use the values bolder and lighter, while the font-weight property can.

Naturally. The descriptor says _what the font supports_ while the property _requests a styling change_. `lighter` is clearly appropriate for a property (if one merely wants anything lighter, and not a specific value) and inappropriate for a descriptor where it would mean 'lighter than ... something`

> This is a terrible idea. We already have font-weight and font-stretch descriptors in @font-face blocks.

Agreed. We don't need fragments here, because descriptors already do this and are widely deployed.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1289#issuecomment-298356252 using your GitHub account