Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-transforms] Spec and blink implementation of transform-box for SVG elements differ

From: Amelia Bellamy-Royds via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2017 01:34:50 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
If the decision is to "make Chrome's behavior the default" because of
web-compat, the spec will need a new value.  Chrome's behavior is
equivalent to `fill-box` for percentages (lengths in `transform` and
position in `transform-origin`), but is equivalent to `view-box` for
absolute measurements in `transform-origin`.  Which means it is
possible for `transform` to use `fill-box` percentages for translation
 distances even while `transform-origin` uses the `view-box` origin.
It also means that `transform-origin: 0 0` (the default, backwards
compatible with SVG 1) is very different from `transform-origin: 0%
0%` (which switches to fill-box behavior).

I've said in many places that I find this behavior to be a horrible
mess of logical inconsistency, but if the only way to get the logical
behavior as an _option_ is to spec the illogical behavior as the
default, I may have to grudgingly accept that.

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/857#issuecomment-278519870