Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-transforms-2] `scale` property behavior differs from `scale()` function

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 21:38:59 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
So here's the problem. You can apply `scale: X` to 3d content. Does `scale: 2` expand in your proposal to `scale: 2 2 1` or `scale: 2 2 2`?

If the former, that's confusing - on 3d content, `scale: 2` will expand your stuff in the xy plane, but the z plane is left alone.  This breaks expectations with 2d-authored content.

If the latter, that's confusing - what does `scale: 2 3` expand to?

We went with the third confusing option: it expands to `2 1 1`, so only the axises you specify expand at all.  This breaks expectations with `scale(2)`, tho.

Since all the options were bad, we went with the one that's bad in a consistent way, at least.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2109#issuecomment-351843781 using your GitHub account