Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-images][css-masking][paint] Ambiguities in handling url()

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 14:43:09 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
After TPAC discussion:
* I'm going to figure out *precisely* what properties are web-compat
required to deal with this ambiguous syntax (where a url() can
potentially be an image or a resource). I think it's just 'mask' and
the 'marker-*' properties. (At least, that's the Chrome ones.)
* For those required-ambiguous properties, we seem to want to go with
the "fragment means resource, no-fragment means image" behavior; in
particular, implementations do *not* want to load things twice.
* We'll bind ourselves to not introduce ambiguity in the future;
properties will be defined to have url() always be an image or ref,
and you will have to switch behavior with image() or element(), as
appropriate.

Extra detail: it looks like Chrome and Firefox do the split based on
"local fragment" vs "otherwise". This means that external links, frag
or no, are treated as image. Need more detail. /cc @birtles

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/383#issuecomment-248013327