Re: [csswg-drafts] [selectors][css-syntax] "parse a selector" missing trailing parenthesis

From: Geoffrey Sneddon via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 22:13:53 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> You can't pay attention to just Selectors.

Why not? Why should I, when implementing `document.querySelector`,
think to look at any actual CSS spec? Why can I not just read
Selectors and follow all cross-references to implement it? Given
Selectors is a relatively stand-alone spec, I was assuming we were
just using some BNF syntax definition! (I don't know if this was
@oyvind-stenhaug's misunderstanding, too.)

And I'll point out we don't have interop here so I don't think we're
in "everyone knows what we mean" camp, unless this has changed over
time? Equally, given both me and √ėyvind misunderstood this, I think
that's obviously not true. If two people who are/were in the WG get
this wrong, then heaven help someone outwith of it trying to implement
 it!

> I guess I could put some redundant text being super-explicit about
this? This runs real close to the "uh, obviously it means X" thing; we
 rely on a lot of implicit context in our definitions. I understand
that you're coming at it from an "assume nothing, test everything"
perspective, but still. ^_^

I won't deny that bit is down the anal end of the spectrum. :)

--
GitHub Notification of comment by gsnedders
Please view or discuss this issue at