Re: [csswg-drafts] [mediaqueries-4] Change when any-* evaluate to 'none'

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 18:20:44 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
There are definitely some interesting use-cases to address that aren't
 fully addressed by (pointer) and (any-pointer) (and hover/any-hover)
right now, but I don't think that generalizing (any-pointer) to allow
it to match *anything* is the right approach.  The PR as written just
removes *any* instructions on what values to should match.

If we can come up with good criteria for determining what
any-pointer/any-hover should match (more elaborate than just "the
union of capabilities", as currently defined), then there might be
something here.  Otherwise, we might be looking at a different
solution altogether - for example, maybe it's useful to explicitly
call out the capabilities of the *secondary* input devices (so
(secondary-pointer) would be just like (any-pointer), but excluding
the primary devices).  Or maybe we want a JS enumeration of the input
devices with some annotations of their capabilities, so apps that
really care can be smart about it.

Regardless, I think the PR as written won't work.

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/737#issuecomment-262321854