[csswg-drafts] [css-align][css-grid] synthesized baselines are insufficiently specified

From: Mats Palmgren via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 19:13:09 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
MatsPalmgren has just created a new issue for
https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-align][css-grid] synthesized baselines are insufficiently
specified ==
I'm trying to understand what bullet 3 here means:
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-grid/#grid-baselines

What does "failing that" mean there?  I read it as, "if there
are no grid items", but I don't know if you mean synthesizing
a baseline from a grid item can fail in some way.  Furthermore...

https://drafts.csswg.org/css-align-3/#synthesize-baselines
"To synthesize baselines from a rectangle (or two parallel lines),
synthesize the alphabetic baseline from the lower line and the central
baseline by averaging the positions of the upper and lower lines."

I don't understand what precise code I should write to implement
this paragraph.  Does "averaging the positions" mean I should take
the distance between the two lines and divide it by 2 to get
the alignment baseline to use?  IOW, the synthesized baseline of
a content box is the center of the content box in the relevant axis?

Please view or discuss this issue at
https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/134 using your GitHub
account