Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-values] Re-adding min() and max()?

From: Christoph Päper via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2016 08:42:04 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
The reason for avoidance of `<` (in the past) was compatibility, not
really syntax, as far as I remember. I don’t fancy `%` as a binary
operator either, but it has precedent elsewhere.

The advantages of `>` over `max()` are really the same as for `+` vs.
`sum()`, except that _plus_ is much better established externally.
Semantically, `>` continues with the larg*er* of the adjacent terms,
whereas `max()`selects the large*est* out of a list. I prefer the
latter in programming languages and spreadsheet applications, but,
unlike those, CSS has only scalars to deal with – no vectors, ranges,
arrays or objects (except perhaps for `<<color>>` eventually). We
don’t need more JS notation in CSS.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by Crissov
Please view or discuss this issue at