Re: "A Suggestion for Bob" (Moved to public list)

While I argue that an extended variant of W3C Web Annotations is the
appropriate way to support the publication and discovery of 2nd and 3rd
party credibility signals (i.e. not 1st party signals embedded in the
content itself), I recognize that just about any mechanism for stating a
relationship between a web resource and some other retrievable resource
containing a credibility signal would satisfy the technical requirement.
This means, of course, that anything that supports RDF or an RDF-like
mechanism would do the job. In fact, it is useful to observe that the
ability to assess credibility would be enhanced if there is access not only
to explicit credibility signals but also to the full range of data and
relationships that are recorded in the Semantic Web. But, while the claim
"All you need is RDF!" has a great deal of truth to it, I feel that claim
is insufficient in that it addresses only one aspect of the problem set;
data storage conventions. "Just use RDF," tells us something about how to
store the relationship data, but it says nothing about the expected use
cases, interfaces, dialog patterns, etc. whose understanding is essential
to the development of a useful communication paradigm. (Credibility signals
are communications...) "Just use RDF," does little to allow us to build up
a common, shared understanding of how these systems might "look." On the
other hand, speaking about W3C Web Annotations invokes a particular set of
assumptions, understandings, etc. of one very useful means of establishing
relationships between resources.

When I pull up a web page in my browser (say: "
https://example.com/post1.html") I would like my browser to present to me,
in parallel with the page, a filtered/sorted list of annotations relevant
to that page. Determinations of relevance should be based on the current
state of my personal "Credibility Web" (see Sandro's earlier posts re
Credibility Web). If there are no annotations in the curated set, or if I
am curious to see what is not in the curated list, I should also be able to
request either a full set of annotations, or a set filtered and sorted
using something other than my default Credibility Web. Ideally, the browser
would also be able to pull in and display, in some useful format, data
concerning the page, its hosting site, author, etc. that is retrieved from
the Semantic Web. Clearly, it would be useful if processes in my browser,
or that work in cooperation with my browser, could evalature the same set
of annotations or Semantic Web data and generate various summaries,
"scores," etc. that could be presented to me in order to enrich my ability
to assess the credibility or truth of claims made on the current page.

Given that W3C Web Annotations are "just RDF or RDF-like stuff," I could
say "Just use RDF," but I think it is more useful to view this from the
users point of view, to see it as an application of the annotation use
case, and leave the use of, or necessity for, RDF as a technical
implementation detail.

bob wyman