De: Phil Archer <phil.archer@gs1.org>
Enviado: lunes, 13 de mayo de 2024 10:26
Para: Ismael Illán García <iillan@iti.es>; public-credentials@w3.org <public-credentials@w3.org>
Asunto: RE: About credential transfer mechanisms

[No suele recibir correo electrónico de phil.archer@gs1.org. Descubra por qué esto es importante en https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification ]

Hi Ismael,

I understand the issue but there are several problems with the solutions you propose, primary among them: privacy and business model.

A chain of credentials from one owner back to the previous one(s) back to the retailer is rather privacy-busting. A GTIN isn't enough (that's a class-level identifier). For this you'd need a GTIN+ Serial number, i.e. an instance identifier. Plus, you're asking the man/woman in the street to take an action. What's their incentive?

The principal problem with the second option is that once a product leaves a retailer, the retailer's business is concluded, except to try and sell more stuff to the same person.

The area where this kind of thing already exists is things like vehicle ownership where there is a central authority issuing documents confirming legal responsibility for a car. For high value items (like $10K handbags) one can imagine the brand running such an ownership scheme but, again, their commercial relationship is really only with the original purchaser.

What you might be able to do, as you suggest, is in making more of the receipt for the transaction. If the digital receipt includes the serialized produce identifier then you'd have proof of ownership that way. I'm sure that could be done in a pseudonymous way.

Phil

---

Phil Archer
Web Solutions Director, GS1