Re: IETF Problem Statement on Elision and Discussion on Privacy & Human Rights

On Thu, Mar 14, 2024 at 2:34 AM Adrian Gropper <agropper@healthurl.com>
wrote:

> However, elision and similar approaches to consent, although
> well-intentioned are not, in my opinion, the thing to focus on because they
> increase the burden on the individual without clearly presenting a path to
> easing the burden.

We have failed if we put the burden of this on the individual.

However, a good product design that knows its audience, whether it be a
holder who is student, an employer, a physician, a researcher, a funder,
etc. should be able to create using Gordian Envelope what they need to meet
the differing privacy needs for each of those roles, rather than serve the
interest largely of the issuer. Currently the issuer is somewhat a natural
monopoly — their security and privacy interests are often not perfectly
aligned with the customers they serve. By supporting many forms of elision
for many kinds of holders, offers one answer (but not all the answers) to
the asymmetry that you speak to.

-- Christopher Allen