Re: IETF Problem Statement on Elision and Discussion on Privacy & Human Rights

Christopher is clearly among the most sophisticated and respected experts
on technology and human rights.

However, elision and similar approaches to consent, although
well-intentioned are not, in my opinion, the thing to focus on because they
increase the burden on the individual without clearly presenting a path to
easing the burden.

People are already overwhelmed by choices they don’t fully understand and
so they are abused by passive-aggressive cookie choices, inscrutable
privacy policies and proprietary consent intermediaries like Facebook and
data brokers.

To reverse this anti-pattern, we need to deal with the asymmetry of power
between individuals and technology providers as personal data resource
servers.

To deal with institutional power asymmetry people organize as cooperatives,
unions, congregations, and professions. These communities are able to
advise and to act as agents and fiduciaries to intentionally deal with
powerful corporations and institutions.

Standards for digital agency are essential to bringing the power of
community through delegated authorization while avoiding yet another vendor
lock-in opportunity. Elision, identity, and policy standards are also
important but they need to be addressed in the context of delegated
authorization if we’re to deal with asymmetric power.

At IETF 119 there will be a very brief HotRFC to continue the process
leading to chartering a Personal Digital Agent Protocol workgroup
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pdap
<pdap@ietf.org>. There is also a human rights thread for 119attendees
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/119attendees/4CSf6Z7B18b9DbYXCg1GGGjZajk/

Adrian