Re: Verified Credentials, Wallets and Open Banking

Hi Anders,

I appreciate the clarity of your description but please forgive any
misunderstanding due to my limited understanding of the payments field.

My issue is that a Core API that presumes certified mediators (in your
design as well as PSD2) disenfranchises the customer who should be free to
make their requests (and present their credentials) directly to the bank as
service provider. To empower the customer in this way, the bank’s API
should accept some combination of capability tokens and authorization
server choice by the customer.

From this “freedom of association” perspective, Open Banking’s use of
certified mediators is a problem but the impact of that problem is limited
to the narrow domain of payments which are both fungible and relatively
easy to regulate. Extending this certified mediator design to broad
applications such as wallets is not going to serve SSI principles.

Adrian