From: technical-discuss@lists.openwallet.foundation <technical-discuss@lists.openwallet.foundation> On Behalf Of David Zeuthen via lists.openwallet.foundation
Sent: Friday, October 20, 2023 12:00 PM
To: andrewhughes@pingidentity.com
Cc: Adrian Gropper <agropper@healthurl.com>; Daniel Goldscheider <daniel@openwallet.foundation>; Credentials Community Group <public-credentials@w3.org>; technical-discuss@lists.openwallet.foundation
Subject: [External] Re: [technical-discuss] Civil Society Response to TSA mDL Rule Making

CAUTION: External email. Be cautious with links and attachments.

Hi,

+1 to what Andrew said from someone who's also working on that particular set of ISO groups. And, yes, we could spend bandwidth discussing the merits of various SDOs but, really, that's been all done before, they all have their flaws, and at the end of the day the comparison table might not even help the claim that ISO is the one where it's the most difficult to have your voice heard, just saying :-). I'm here because I want to work with everyone else who wants to make Digital Identity better for people on this planet, not discuss which SDO is my favorite because at the end of the day reaching this goal for sure will require participation in more than just one SDO.

This is not to say that we shouldn't encourage SDOs to do better but let's not alienate people in a place that decidedly is SDO-neutral territory.

Thanks,
David

On Thu, Oct 19, 2023 at 7:30 PM Andrew Hughes via lists.openwallet.foundation <andrewhughes=pingidentity.com@lists.openwallet.foundation<mailto:andrewhughes=pingidentity.com@lists.openwallet.foundation>> wrote:
Please stop calling ISO processes "closed" in ways that insinuate some nefarious intent. Use a different word. Just because the way that international standardization organization works is not to your liking does not mean that it is inherently "bad". The particular ISO committee you denigrate has gone out of its way to engage and accommodate other communities, within the rules of the organization. We can always do better for sure - but the language used in some of these communities does not inspire a desire to work together. Please don't pick on us just because we are trying to engage - there are other actually closed organizations that have far more influence over you but you don't seem to bother them.

Andrew Hughes
Director - Identity Standards
andrewhughes@pingidentity.com<mailto:andrewhughes@pingidentity.com>
Mobile/Signal: +1 250 888 9474<tel:(250)%20888-9474>