Re: [Agenda] W3C CCG 3/7/23 - Lists of Verifiable Issuers and Verifiers

Isaac,
Thanks for your interesting proposal and presentation.

As stated during the meeting, I am concerned that list size may be an issue
and I'm wondering if you could provide your thoughts on the implications of
list size on the useful scope of your approach. It seems to me that use of
a list having 10 members would present a very different set of issues than
one that had 10's of millions of members.

If I understand things correctly, it seems to me that a very large list
might be needed to support a population of self-sovereign social web users
who may each independently issue VC's attesting to the "credibility" of
other social web users. (e.g. Bob issues a VC saying he considers Alice to
be credible when she speaks about issues related to current nuclear fusion
research.) I assume that each of the users will have their own domain and
that they generally wish to minimize reliance on centralized facilities.

If a list becomes very large, its rate of change might ensure that no
snapshot of the list could be valid for more than a very short period of
time. Also, making copies of any snapshot, in order to use it, might be
burdensome for both its maintainers and its users.

Note: I do understand Manu's statement in chat that one benefit of a
list-based approach is that an external party is somewhat thwarted
in discovering which member of the list is the subject of one's interest.
This is a useful privacy benefit, but I'm wondering how it can be
maintained at scale.

But, perhaps there is some detail that I haven't understood...

bob wyman