Re: POLL RESULTS: What is the action that produces a Verifiable Presentation?

If you were interested in Fibonacci inspired ranked choice voting, you
can read this paper: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1401.8180.pdf

Opavote doesn’t seem to have this function, which is admittedly rare in
usage. Operationally, what I’d do is give someone’s #1 choice 8 points,
#2 choice 5 points, #3 choice 3 points, #4 choice 2 points, #5 choice 1
point, and all the others 0 points. The end result is "magnifying" the
difference between the top 3 candidates, with the goal of /making it
easier for the group to psychologically accept/ choice #1.

Anyway, I’ve noticed that in actual usage, weighting with Fibonacci
numbers “feels” more manageable than “quadratic” voting, but I don’t
have a game theoretic proof for this, or anything that addresses Arrow’s
Impossibility Theorem. And I agree with Christopher’s comment that
Condorcet often provides a better result, but isn’t very practical in usage.

I believe that voting systems should actually measure /feelings/ about
the group's user experience as a key component of the social utility
function — i.e., do voters “feel satisfied" by the results. If we poll
to collect enough data, we could potentially find new voting algorithms
that may fit the psychosocial needs of voters better than a
Pareto-optimal solution prepared by game theorists.

This stuff addresses issues of voter polarization so it's an important
thing for society to figure out. I believe the Electoral College was
intended to do something like this = magnify the results of a close
election - but frankly, it's been gamed and has had the opposite effect.

Anyway, to be practical, it /might/ be that the group’s mean
satisfaction score could increase by holding a runoff for the top 3
choices: create, generate and compose. But it’s really not worth the
effort for such a small benefit!

Moses

-
*Moses Ma | FutureLab Consulting Inc*
moses.ma@futurelabconsulting.com | moses@ngenven.com
v +1.415.952.7888 <tel:+1.415.952.7888> | m +1.415.568.1068
<tel:+1.415.568.1068> | skype mosesma