From: Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 4, 2023 11:12 PM
To: Michael Herman (Trusted Digital Web) <mwherman@parallelspace.net>; Wayne Chang <wayne@spruceid.com>
Cc: Christopher Allen <ChristopherA@lifewithalacrity.com>; G. Ken Holman (g.ken.holman@gmail.com) <g.ken.holman@gmail.com>; Steve Capell <steve.capell@gmail.com>; public-credentials (public-credentials@w3.org) <public-credentials@w3.org>; sam@prosapien.com
Subject: 4-Corner Credential Interoperability Model

On 2023-02-05 5:31, Michael Herman (Trusted Digital Web) wrote:

> 80% of it.  I’ll have a full demo at IIW.  There’s actually a small flaw in the “version 0.65” diagram in my previous post because it is difficult to actually transform and re-sign the credential on the right side as well as re-auth-encrypt the DIDComm credential exchange message with the re-signed credential.  “Necessity being the mother of invention” led to the creation of the concept of DIDComm Agent logical composition: If you have N DIDComm Agents connected serially from a message transfer perspective, this scenario can be recoded as a single physical DIDComm Agent with N inbound service endpoints.  Using DIDComm Agent logical composition, the equivalent working version 0.66 solution looks like this

Since I agree with what Steve Capell wrote about message integrity etc., I'm curious about how the revised solution copes with this.

AFAICT, end-2-end security requires the communicating parties agreeing on everything from formats to cryptographic algorithms and trust anchors.  This only works satisfactory for closed-loop systems which is why I began toying with public discovery services.  I have had this running (albeit only in lab-scale...) since 2015.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/andersrundgren_many-payment-authorization-systems-build-activity-7002012686137835520-p-2X

Since discovery service information can be cached, the overhead is quite limited.  Yes, cache refreshes of course add some minor delays every now and then.

IMNSHO, the ISO 20022 folks are on the wrong track; extremely complex messages (with tons of "nice to have" options subject to interpretation), is primarily an asset for consultants :)

Anders