RE: 4-Corner Credential Interoperability Model

If you use some DIDComm imagination, it's easy to see how the 4-Corner Credential Interoperability Model is highly complementary to supporting a layered VC model ...here's a glimpse.  "More news at 11..."

[cid:image001.jpg@01D938E0.8CE1FA70]

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Capell <steve.capell@gmail.com<mailto:steve.capell@gmail.com>>
Sent: Saturday, February 4, 2023 4:24 PM
To: Michael Herman (Trusted Digital Web) <mwherman@parallelspace.net>
Cc: public-credentials (public-credentials@w3.org) <public-credentials@w3.org>; G. Ken Holman (g.ken.holman@gmail.com) <g.ken.holman@gmail.com>; Christopher Allen <ChristopherA@lifewithalacrity.com>; sam@prosapien.com
Subject: Re: 4-Corner Credential Interoperability Model

I think the 4-corner model is the opposite of the VC model.  It’s a EDI message routing framework that delegates the problem of trust (ie trader identity verification) to EDI hubs.  Hubs perform a “service” to their authenticated subscribers to map messages to the format they need - so forget about document integrity (how do you maintain a signature when the document is transformed at two hubs?).  There’s nothing verifiable about the message that eventually lands with the receiver (through 2 hubs).  Instead the parties have to trust that the hubs have properly identified their clients and have not lost anything in translation

It’s also expensive (every message attracts  two clip-fees).  I’ve never seen this model achieve any significant uptake except in cases where it is mandated by a national regulator

Kind regards

Steven Capell

Mob: 0410 437854