Re: CHAPI Playground now supports VC-API

On 2023-08-25 15:48, Benjamin Young wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Last Friday, Morgan described the process of picking alternative API’s
> to be used in the Playground to explore integrations where CHAPI’s
> browser-side events may not be possible–such as between the user’s Web
> browser and a Native Wallet application on Android or iOS:
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-credentials/2023Aug/0054.html

I'm not convinced that this is a viable solution because deep links:
- Do not provide the invoking web page's security context.  *PHISHING WARNING*.
- Do not provide a response at the JS level, effectively forcing you to use awkward OOB arrangements

The only solution that actually support these desirable properties is Android's implementation of Payment Request:
https://cyberphone.github.io/doc/web/calling-apps-from-the-web.pdf
Although Apple also supports PaymentRequest, they only allow it to call Apple Pay.  Calling PaymentRequest a standard is quite a stretch.

When I first raised this issue (Web2Native) in W3C some 8 years(!) ago, the response was: we DO NOT encourage the use of native code on the Web because it introduces vulnerabilities. Right or wrong, Deep Links already do this, albeit in a much less useful fashion.

Anders