Re: Open Wallet Foundation

> *Unfortunately you can't use WebAuthN to get generic signatures needed to
> treat a device as a wallet.*

@Orie Steele <orie@transmute.industries> this is such an important point,
and I'm thrilled to see you bringing it to light here. It's a huge missed
opportunity that WebAuthn supports hardware backed cryptographic
signatures *only
*for authentication. As far as I can tell, it's largely an unfortunate side
effect of the working group's mandate being "authentication" specifically.

I brought this up in WebAuthn (and WebCrypto) GitHub issues posts last
spring:

*PROPOSAL: Add support for general (hardware backed) cryptographic
signatures and key exchange*

   - WebAuthn Github issues post:
      https://github.com/w3c/webauthn/issues/1608
      - WebCrypto GitHub issues post:
      https://github.com/w3c/webcrypto/issues/263

This was after a long conversation in a separate WebAuthn GitHub issues
post I made:

*Can the private keys be used for other cryptographic operations?:*
https://github.com/w3c/webauthn/issues/1595

I understand the motivation to prevent tracking of users, and that's
crucial. But in my view that's not a reason to not support generic
cryptographic signatures. It simply requires a different implementation,
e.g. one that includes a nonce so that an RP can't pass in the same data
and get back exactly the same proof twice (which would enable tracking).

I think the only way this will change is with much more advocacy from all
of us. If anyone else agrees with Orie and with my proposals linked above,
please reopen the GitHub issues posts, comment on them, and speak up!

Imagine what would be possible with general, hardware backed cryptographic
signatures... extremely secure and highly usable web based identity
wallets. It would change the game.

Liam Hale McCarty
CEO, Founder of Unum ID <https://www.unumid.co/>
Forbes 30 Under 30 | Stanford Physics