Digitized Notaries and Foundational ID infrastructure

Commenting after Mathieu's excellent presentation today.

We might consider traditional notaries as a (private sector) public good
regulated by government across state and national boundaries.

A registered Notary Public:

   - Is chosen by the Data Principal
   <https://www.huntonprivacyblog.com/2022/11/22/india-releases-fourth-draft-of-data-protection-bill/>
   (or subject, for short)
   - Verifies a government issued biometric ID in-person
   - Establishes a particular transaction as context
   - Appends their NP ID, signature and seal to the transaction that is
   also signed by the Data Principal
   - Maintains a private log of the Data Principal's Foundational ID but
   not the transaction contents.
   - Provides access to their private log (under court order?) to a relying
   party that can produce evidence of the signed transaction.

Note 1: The international trust framework is formed by the governments
themselves as a federation. States manage the registry of individual NPs.

Note 2: Although the NP operates in-person (or the technological equivalent
thereof) the transaction with the relying party need not be in-person as
long as the RP receives an authentic signature and NP ID that can be used
to examine the log and prove a link to the Data Principal's Foundational
ID.

Note 3: The "match" between the Foundational ID and the identifier of the
Data Principal of the transaction as known to the relying party could be
"blinded" via the NP log and only revealed to the relying party as part of
a dispute.

Note 4: A regulated online NP as a public good will need to establish the
link between subject ID in the transaction context and the Foundational ID
but can be designed so they do not need to store the context or see the
content of the transaction as in this example from India
<https://www.brookings.edu/blog/future-development/2022/09/08/give-people-control-of-their-data/>
.

Adrian