Re: Publication of VC API as VCWG Draft Note

From: Ganesh Annan <gannan@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 20:30:25 -0500
To: Kristina Yasuda <Kristina.Yasuda@microsoft.com>
Cc: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>, W3C Credentials CG <public-credentials@w3.org>
On Sat, Nov 19, 2022 at 6:49 PM Kristina Yasuda <
Kristina.Yasuda@microsoft.com> wrote:

> It seems that you have contributed ~90% of the edits for VC-API over the
> past 18 months, and so I think it's fairer to characterize it as
> your/Digital Bazaar's specification, instead of attempting to publish this
> note under the auspices of the community/entire WG.

Unfortunately, using the number of commits over a time period does not
equate to "ownership" of a specification. Using that logic does not hold
when viewing the VC Data Model contributors; it has a similar distribution
over the same time period [1]. We assert today that the VC Data Model
specification is not owned by a single person or organization. Therefore,
it is incorrect to assert the following: "if one makes the most commits to
a specification, then it is that person's/organization's specification".

For the clarification to others, it is important to understand the why. The
commit is the sum of all conversations, written exchanges over email, back
and forth in github issues, and wordsmithing (sometimes bikeshedding) of
proposed spec text. It is the last step and output from a consensus driven
process that took in the ideas of many people.

[1]
https://github.com/w3c/vc-data-model/graphs/contributors?from=2020-05-22&to=2022-11-19&type=c

Kind Regards,
Ganesh

Screen_Shot_2022-11-19_at_8.24.56_PM.png
(image/png attachment: Screen_Shot_2022-11-19_at_8.24.56_PM.png)