Re: Request for Presenters: In-Person Presentation of Credentials

Hi David,

Apologies for following up on this so late. McMaster University has got a pilot underway (as part of our work with the DCC - Digital Credentials Consortium - https://digitalcredentials.mit.edu) in which we dynamically generate letters for students.  The letters confirm things like:

- the student is registered for the current term
- the student has graduated
- the student's current course list

The letters, which are PDFs, include a QR that encodes (via CBOR-LD) a complete Verifiable Credential (all using the wonderful libraries from Digital Bazaar - thank you!)  Again the QR is NOT a link to a VC, but rather contains the entire VC.  The VC confirms the information that appears as text in the PDF.

The idea is that the student can use the PDF in various ways:

- upload the file (PDF), say as part of an online application for a student bank account, to prove they're a current student.
- email the file (PDF) to someone, say a company recruiter, to prove they’ve graduated.
- print out a paper copy and present it in-person, say to the immigration officer when arriving at the Canadian border and applying at that moment for a student visa.

I’m guessing it's the paper scenario that you’d be interested in, although you could also imagine the student sitting across the desk from a bank employee when opening a new bank account, and air-dropping (or equivalent) the file to the employee.

The relying party can either scan the QR with their phone (from a web browser open to our verification web page), or if they’ve received the full file, can submit the PDF to the same verification web page (the verification code actually simply pulls out the QR image and proceeds as though the QR had been scanned).  The verfication web page displays the information that’s encoded in the VC (thereby confirming what appears in the text of the PDF).

Happy to present a live demo of the system if that would be of interest (and if I’m not too late with this).  It is a fully functional pilot that uses the campus authentication system (Azure OIDC) and the campus student info system (PeopleSoft).

James Chartrand