Re: We're not the only community with problems (Fwd: Open Letter to Debian election candidates about Debian vendettas)

On 3/20/22 8:40 AM, Kalin NICOLOV wrote:
> It feels that what healthy communities have in common are: 1) no issue
> calling out such behavior and 2) shorter threads in going through those
> “flares”. My reflection is therefore inviting our community to learn from
> others, be at ease calling out politics, othering and behavior that might
> avalanche in a negative way across the community – preferably in a manner
> inclusive and understanding, allowing quick recovery.

+1, well said, Kalin! :)

I've also found that demonstrating to those engaged that /something/ is being
produced as a result of the avalanche of chaotic emails to also help reassure
folks that the conversation is productive (in some way).

The Chairs also chiming in and helping guide the conversation based on codes
of conduct before things get out of hand helps as well... and the Chairs (and
ex-Chairs) in this community, especially, have a TON of practice in dealing
with de-escalating debates when necessary. :)

Culture helps... and many of us set the tone for that culture; it's not one
individual, or elected leader's responsibility.

https://www.digitalbazaar.com/