Re: Centralization dangers of applying OpenID Connect to wallets protocols (was: Re: 2022-2026 Verifiable Data Standards Roadmap [DRAFT])

Maybe we can encourage the platforms to get their act together and work on
a common mechanism for web-to-app calling? Rather than everyone making
weird hacks?

:-)

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 10:39 AM Oliver Terbu <o.terbu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Btw. app links are more secure than custom URL schemes and they are the
> recommended way of invoking a native app. Interop is not established based
> on the concrete app link, it is established through the
> `authorization_endpoint` config parameter which can be any sort of URL,
> e.g., an app link. There is no issue regarding interop since RPs don't need
> to know the particular app link, just the place where to look for the
> config parameter.
>
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2022 at 18:11, Dmitri Zagidulin <dzagidulin@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Oliver.
>> I didn't even mention the universal app link (for those not familiar with
>> mobile development, what Oliver is mentioning is a regular https:// web
>> link that is /bound to a particular mobile app/.), because that's
>> SIGNIFICANTLY WORSE, in terms of interop and centralization. (By their very
>> nature, app links are bound to their particular individual apps (so,
>> wallets, here)). Which makes the lack of a wallet selector that much more
>> critical.
>> So, whereas openid:// has SOME interop (in addition to usability &
>> security problems), universal app links have NO interop (though in their
>> defense, they do fix the usability & security problems of the custom
>> protocol handler.)
>>

>> On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 12:59 PM Oliver Terbu <o.terbu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It doesn't rely on the openid:// protocol handler. It is the fallback /
>>> default. It really depends on what is in the OP config, could be also a
>>> universal link.

Andrew Hughes CISM CISSP
o  +1 650.209.7542 m +1 250.888.9474
5043 Del Monte Ave,, Victoria, BC V8Y 1W9
AndrewHughes3000@gmail.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/andrew-hughes-682058a
Digital Identity | International Standards | Information Security