Re: Centralization dangers of applying OpenID Connect to wallets protocols (was: Re: 2022-2026 Verifiable Data Standards Roadmap [DRAFT])

From: Adrian Gropper <agropper@healthurl.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 17:21:22 -0400
To: Tobias Looker <tobias.looker@mattr.global>
Cc: Joe Andrieu <joe@legreq.com>, Credentials Community Group <public-credentials@w3.org>
On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 4:56 PM Tobias Looker <tobias.looker@mattr.global>
wrote:

> If you insist on inventing completely new protocols just to get the
> ecosystem off the ground all you do is add to the problems discussed above
> by creating a significant uphill battle of adopting more new
> infrastructure.
>

> +1 and then some. If our goal is decentralization and our flag is
self-sovereign identity and technology then we need to analyze our
completely new protocols from a human rights perspective under the
presumption that "big players" with platform business models are going to
take advantage of our work on the data models regardless of the protocols
we invent on top of the data models.

Therefore, it is up to us to invent the protocols that mitigate the use of
VCs and DIDs by incumbent and wannabe platforms. Or else we should stop
pretending that we're doing decentralization under an SSI flag.

Adrian