Re: Web3 First Impressions by Moxie Marlinspike (was: Re: Ideals meet Implementations - Blockchains, NFTs, Decentralization, Oh My!)

Well-put, both of you.

I recently read a twitter thread by an academic who abandoned a book-length monograph on O'Reilly, with multiple chapters on the vicissitudes of what O'Reilly kept trying to make Web 2.0 "mean" and what it ended up meaning after billions of dollars of VC and a decade-long hype cycle's worth of marketing and spin had been applied to it. Web3 is likely to be an even bigger, uglier, stupid semantic tug-of-war for some time. I've already heard people start to distinguish between:
- "narrow" Web3 (EVM-centric, smart-contract-enabled, chain-centric web business and communities)
- "economic" Web3 (more libertarian and/or Georgist-oriented, currency-centric, BTC-centric)
- "social" Web3 (the non-monetary aspects of legal, political, and social organization via decentralized and/or crypto-enabled networks)
- "broad" Web3 (including crypto-powered P2P networks like secure scuttlebutt, PGP, DIDs and non-DID SCIDs, etc)

Throwing an adjective in front probably won't be enough clarification to have a meaningful and civil conversation for many years.

Anyways, I hope we can keep the CCG list a DMZ in this rapidly-escalating culture war, before "Web3" becomes the next "Critical Race Studies" or "Satanic Panic".

Thanks,
__juan