Re: Thoughts about signatures, JOSE, and NIST curves (was: [PROPOSED WORK ITEM] ECDSA Secp384r1 Cryptosuite v2019)

In general, IETF controls the algorithm registries for JSON and CBOR key
representations, signing and encryption.

There are numerous implementations of these suites in pretty much every
major language, which makes interoperability testing pretty easy.

For newer crypto like ES256K, you should be careful because not every
library will implement them the same way, and you may need to "normalize to
lower s" even though it's not in the IETF spec.

"Multicodec" is basically controlled by the IPFS community, see
https://github.com/multiformats/multicodec/blob/master/table.csv

I would strongly recommend building on one or the other, or both, and not
attempting to invent anything new that is not directly compatible with them.

OS

ᐧ

--
*ORIE STEELE*