Re: Ideals meet Implementations - Blockchains, NFTs, Decentralization, Oh My!

Alan, I don't understand. I'm not trying to propose VCs as permissions.
Enrollment is a level of indirection between the issuer and a future
verifier.
1 - Enrollment gives the subject a set of capabilities, not a VC.
2 - A subset of the capabilities can later be used by a client to get a VC.
3 - The client may or may not be operated by the subject themselves if the
subject chooses to be a "holder"

By introducing this indorection, I'm adding agency to the subject since #3
is entirely their choice. The negotiation or enrollment contract in #1
clearly gives the issuer control over what capabilities to offer the
subject.

The DMV example is confusing because the staffer is not the subject of the
VC and the driver's license has a biometric. The DMV as issuer will send
the license to the subject as holder but it's the biometric (face and
signature) that actually matters to a notary or other verifier, not the
address. In the general case, verifiers are delegated by the subject the
right to query DMV for VCs associated with the subject. Handing over the
license to the cop is effectively a delegation to access a VC.

Our discussion of delegation would be clearer if the VC is a grade report,
letter of recommendation, prescription, or vaccination record. None of
these typically include a biometric and some of them, like the letter of
recommendation, are not to be accessible to the subject at all.

- Adrian